Personal care is a term used to describe the homecare help given with personal hygiene and the everyday things that we all need to do to take care of ourselves, such as:
- dressing and undressing
- washing/bathing/showering/shaving/oral hygiene
- toileting, including catheter or stoma bags
- assisting with medication or eye drops
- application of creams/ointments (not involving redressing of wounds)
- fitting callipers or other surgical aids
- helping with any rehabilitation requirements.
Our care staff understand that some people find this kind of intimate help difficult and will do everything they can to put you at ease and respect your dignity and independence. They are fully trained to use a hoist or other mechanical aid if this is required.
Often family members play an important role in the health and wellbeing of our clients alongside professional care staff, particularly in the area of personal care. For this reason we are very pleased to offer our clients' family carers the opportunity to attend any of our staff training and development courses free of charge. If you would like more information about any of our training courses, or you would like to know how we can help you with personal care, please contact your nearest Candlelight branch.